• besked
Brugeravatar

TheRealEd

• Geografisk sted: København
  • Highscores: 0
    Arcade winning challenges: 0

Forsmag på ændringer i WPPR formular 6.0 fra 2024

Indlægfre 28. apr 2023 14:04

Som nogen måske allerede har opsnuset eller hørt snak om, så kommer der igen ændringer af WPPR formularen i 2024.
Josh Sharpe har delt en forsmag på, hvad der er på tegnebrættet i øjeblikket på Tilt Forum:
http://tiltforums.com/t/wppr-v6-0-sneak-peek/8325
Læs eller deltag evt. i debatten på linket for mere dybdegående forklaringer og svar på diverse spørgsmål.

Det er en lidt kompliceret omgang, så jeg vil ikke forsøge at forkorte, forenkle eller oversætte det, så her er en kopi af hans oprindelige opslag:

"

Tilt Forums exclusive . . .

Another sneak peek into what’s currently being talked about and proposed among IFPA leadership. As always, everything is subject to change prior to the end of the year.

Since the first World Pinball Player Rankings were posted back in February 2006, there have been complaints about the fairness of trying to compare players from around the globe where the access and opportunity to compete in IFPA sanctioned events vary so greatly.

WPPR v6.0 is focused on trying to answer a systemic problem regarding the advantages of access and privilege that certain players have at their disposal, giving themselves more opportunities to compete in IFPA sanctioned events and earn WPPR points towards their ranking at a level that is above and beyond their peers. There’s privilege when it comes to players that live close to more opportunities, and privilege when it comes to players that can afford to travel and create those opportunities for themselves. Ultimately this leads to situations where the accuracy of players we’re attempting to rank is flawed due to the inconsistent level of opportunities some may have over others.

Starting in 2024 we will be splitting the World Pinball Player Rankings into two lists.

Players ranked 1-1000 will be listed on the WPPR-PRO rankings.

Players ranked 1001+ will be listed on the WPPR-AM rankings.

The WPPR-PRO rankings will include this v6.0 adjustment, while the WPPR-AM rankings will receive no adjustment.

How will WPPR v6.0 work?
We will be calculating what we consider to be a reasonable amount of play that is acceptable for a top 1000 player. Players will continue to be allowed to play as much as they would like, however players that play in excess of this reasonable amount will see an adjustment made to their total WPPR points earned towards their world ranking.

WPPR v6.0 is an attempt at measuring to what extent your Top 20 card (or likely your Top 15 card as that’s the current plan) is a representative sample of all your comp results over the past 3 years.

To the extent that it is representative, your relative rank will go up.

To the extent that it is not representative, your relative rank will go down.

The WPPR v6.0 calculation process:
STEP 1Calculating the “WPPRtunity” metric
We will be incorporating a player’s Efficiency Percentage to help define what we’re calling the “WPPRtunity” metric. If a player has an Eff% of 20% and a WPPR point total of 200 WPPR’s making up their top 15 resume, we calculate this WPPRtunity metric at 1000 WPPR’s (WPPR’s / Eff%).

STEP 2Defining what a reasonable level of “WPPRtunity” is for players in the top 1000
We will be calculating this WPPRtunity metric for every player in the top 1000, finding an average across those top 1000 players. This average will be where the line is drawn with respect to what we consider a reasonable level of access and opportunity for players to compete.

STEP 3Calculate the percent of excess play over average for anyone in the top 1000 that would be subject to adjustment
If the average WPPRtunity metric is 1000 and my WPPRtunity metric is 2000, then 50% of my WPPR’s would be subject to this adjustment.

STEP 4Calculate the adjustment for anyone that has a WPPRtunity value that is higher than average
The adjustment is calculated by this excessive play being awarded at the Eff% value of the player rather than at full value. For example: if I have 500 WPPR’s on my card, and my excess play value is 50%, and my Eff% is 20%, there would be an 80% reduction of 50% of my WPPR point total.
Instead of 500 WPPR’s under this old formula, there would be an adjustment of 200 WPPR’s based on this excess play. (500*50%*80%)

There is a sample worksheet showing this WPPR v6.0 calculation here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eXxhiaY17nJPsxZlqF9jN0PPanXZaUm5vRVpGmiFpgA/edit?usp=sharing

Some things to note:
    ·This worksheet is a homebrew version of this adjustment that I’m calculating based on the current WPPR rankings. The plan is for this adjustment to be integrated into the rebuild after every event so we can use this WPPR v6.0 rank value in the formula used to calculate the value of each event. The homebrew version uses a player’s top 20 resume, not top 15 resume. We have a simulation privately running on our website that is actually tracking this correctly and have confirmed the results are ‘similar enough’ to the worksheet.
    ·The simulation we are currently tracking has the adjustment reducing a player’s Top 20 card back down to the Top 15 results (it was previously Top 15 until WPPR v5.0 was launched).
    ·Efficiency % stat before people ask = WPPR’s earned/ WPPR’s available for all active events on your resume (not just the events on your top 20 card)
    ·This change would be retroactive with a starting date of 1/1/22 once it’s implemented on 1/1/24.
"
|×[ED ]×|
Brugeravatar

TheRealEd

Re: Forsmag på ændringer i WPPR formular 6.0 fra 2024

Indlæglør 6. maj 2023 22:18

Hvis man er interesseret i at dykke lidt dybere ned i IFPA's mulige ændringer af rangliste systemet næste år, så er her et interview med Josh Sharpe, hvor de taler om den nye foreslåede WPPR formular.
Der bringes et par gode eksempler og vinkler på banen, som måske kan få folk til bedre at forstå, hvad det går ud på.
https://podcastaddict.com/episode/http% ... Id=3387411

Der har også været godt gang i den oprindelige tråd på Tilt Forum, hvor der også er luftet nogle gode argumenter, både for og imod, og med data der underbygger de nye idéer.
http://tiltforums.com/t/wppr-v6-0-sneak-peek/8325
|×[ED ]×|
Brugeravatar

TheRealEd

Re: Forsmag på ændringer i WPPR formular 6.0 fra 2024

Indlægtors 22. jun 2023 07:15

Kort update fra Josh Sharpe!
De nye regler kommer umiddelbart kun til at påvirke Top 250 nu.

"I’ve been convinced after some internal discussions on our side that this WPPR PRO thing is best served for this elite subgroup of players.

The stress the rankings swings seemed to cause in that 501-1000 range was hurting people far more than it was helping serve the goal of creating a more accurate system.

This allows even more people to just keep playing as much as you want without worry of needing to be compared against this top group of the world’s best.

These details and more will be announced officially on our site ‘soonish’."
|×[ED ]×|

Tilbage til Events